On Side Restoration is seeking a Health, Safety and Environment Expert with Construction Industry Experience and a Demonstrated Aptitude for Training and Development to lead our organization’s HSE programs and systems
The Health Safety & Environment (HSE) Leader is a management professional who is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive range of occupational health and safety programs and services to meet the goals and legal obligations of On Side Restoration. These functions include, but may not be limited to, the assessment, facilitation and evaluation of injury prevention, environmental safety, occupational health and safety, employee wellness and the development, implementation and consultation on safety policies and training. The HSE Leader oversees all activities of the Occupational Health and Safety practices of the company and provides advice to employees and the leadership team.
About On Side Restoration
On Side Restoration is one of Canada’s leading, privately-owned restoration companies with branches coast to coast from Victoria, BC to St. John’s, Newfoundland. Since 2018, On Side also operates in the province of Quebec. For the past 40 years the company has been restoring damaged homes and businesses 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Proprietary internal systems include eClaim, a transparent web-based file management software program, and On Side LiVE, their 24 hour customizable emergency call centre. Experienced and certified crew operate On Side’s extensive fleet of emergency response vehicles and leverage their 10,000+ pieces of specialty equipment. Further information about On Side can be found at www.onside.ca
Why work with us?
Imagine a world where we wake up each day inspired to go to work, feel safe while we’re there, and return home at the end of the day fulfilled by the work we do – feeling that we have contributed to something greater than ourselves. This is the world we envision.
- Is friendly, and we love to do company-wide fun things!
- Is never boring…every day is something different!
- We provide great learning opportunities to our employees!
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, which includes:
- Excellent health plan, including medical, dental, long-term disability (LTD) and life insurance.
- Opportunity for promotional opportunities and national career movement.
- Strategize, develop, implement, coordinate, evaluate, and update On Side’s occupational health and safety policies, procedures and programs to ensure COR compliance in all branches
- Develop annual health and safety plans for the company based on a full review of health and safety-related needs (hazard assessment, analysis of database, audits, changing legislation, etc.)
- Review OH&S legislation, amendments and best practices to optimize programs and training
- Provide all levels of the company with advice related to health and safety matters, legislative requirements and best practices in the field
- Assist in representing management in matters of health and safety with the government, health and safety associations and other outside agencies and organizations
- Liaises with our 3rd party claims management firm to proactively respond to workplace incidents
- Provide management with reports on WCB/WSIB/WHSCC incidents and injuries, lost time injuries, health-related absenteeism and other occupational health and safety information
- Structure / schedule and chair monthly H&S Committee meetings across all locations
- Coordinate and/or provide guidance and direction to occupational health and safety representatives including members of the national HSE committee and the On Side Worksafe! Team
- Effectively manages return to work programs, working closely with the employee, his/her supervisors, the insurance company and TeksMed Services to ensure the employee’s safety and health, as well as ensuring that they receive all of the benefits they are entitled to
- Provide advice and guidance to managers and supervisors to return injured employees (as soon as possible) to productive work following an injury
- Investigate accidents thoroughly and effectively, identify root cause, determine corrective actions to eliminate reoccurrence and then respond appropriately as required, including communicating to, training and following up with supervisors and employees
- Ensure that work refusals are properly investigated and that any necessary corrections to the work processes are implemented and documented
- Liaise with TeksMed, WCB and insurance providers on all claims, including consultation on reviews and appeals where appropriate and in concert with Human Resources
- Develop, arrange, and present safety orientation and training for employees to ensure complete and effective understanding of potential risks and expected safety first! behaviours
- Develop a matrix for training requirements, maintain records of all health and safety-related training and assist in the development and implementation of programs
- Develop and manage internal and external health and safety audits of the company, including risk assessments, at varying levels, and act as a trainer/advisor to internal auditors (COR)
- Coordinate inspections, investigations, and occupational health and safety activities within various departments
- Coordinate health and safety supplies by ensuring appropriate supplies are identified and purchased in a timely and cost effective manner and used appropriately
- Monitor, amend and update the organization’s Health and Safety Manual; maintain soft copies and historical records of all safety related information and documentation
- Support and promote occupational health, wellness and corporate safety initiatives
- Act as a resource to assisting and providing information and responses on behalf of the company (ie safety metrics reporting, RFP data requirements, etc.)
- Prepare and manage the occupational health and safety budget
- Ensure the documentation and retention of all health and safety-related records for the prescribed time limits
- Perform other related duties as required
Qualification and requirements:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field of study
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with occupation health and safety management
- Direct experience with disability management, accident investigation, workplace inspection and job hazard analysis
- Occupational Health and Safety Certificate – First Aid Certification
- COR Specialist Certification for Corporate Safety Certificate of Recognition
- Safety Training and Certification (various): Fall Protection, etc.
- IICRC Training and Certification preferred (industry courses such as Asbestos, Mold, etc.)
Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety management, applicable federal, provincial and municipal regulations/legislation, Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations and applicable Provincial Human Rights legislation
- Knowledge of WCB/WSIB/STD/LTD processes and procedures, including WSIB/WCB claims management and related legislation
- Proven ability to effectively plan and direct the work of the department and manage its staff and resolve conflict in a positive and constructive manner
- Willing to actively participate in continuous professional development throughout the course of employment
- Proven ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and records
- Service and team-oriented leader who pays specific attention to detail
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills
- Tact, diplomacy, flexibility, listening and persuasion skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with database applications and administration systems, specifically Microsoft Office
- Working Conditions
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Interacts with employees, management, customers, government agencies and the public
- Lifting or moving up to 40 lbs. may be required
- Flexible scheduling required to support a 24/7 emergency response environment
- Overtime may be required
- Travel to various branches and work sites will be required