The Manager, Health, Safety & Environmental oversees all activities of the Occupational Health and Safety practices for their region, is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive range of occupational health and safety programs and services to meet the goals and legal obligations of the company and provides advice to employees and the leadership team.
What you’ll be doing…
- Strategize, develop, implement, coordinate, evaluate, and update On Side’s occupational health and safety policies, procedures and programs to ensure the On Side’s standards and compliance
- Develop annual health and safety plans for the company based on a full review of health and safety-related needs (hazard assessment, analysis of database, audits, changing legislation, etc.)
- Review OH&S legislation, amendments and best practices to optimize programs and training
- Provide all levels of the company with advice related to health and safety matters, legislative requirements and best practices in the field
- Assist in representing management in matters of health and safety with the government, health and safety associations and other outside agencies and organizations
- Liaise with our 3rd party claims management firm to proactively respond to workplace incidents
- Provide management with reports on CNESST incidents and injuries, lost time injuries, health-related absenteeism and other occupational health and safety information
- Structure / schedule and chair monthly Health and Safety Committee meetings across all locations within Quebec
- Coordinate and/or provide guidance and direction to occupational health and safety representatives including members of the national HSE committee and the On Side Worksafe! Team
- Manages return to work programs effectively, working closely with the employee, his/her supervisors, the insurance company and TeksMed Services to ensure the employee’s safety and health, as well as ensuring that they receive all of the benefits they are entitled to
- Provide advice and guidance to managers and supervisors to return injured employees (as soon as possible) to productive work following an injury
- Investigate accidents thoroughly and effectively, identify root cause, determine corrective actions to eliminate reoccurrence and then respond appropriately as required, including communicating to, training and following up with supervisors and employees
- Ensure that work refusals are properly investigated and that any necessary corrections to the work processes are implemented and documented
- Liaise with TeksMed (C.Roy), and the CNESST on all claims, including consultation on reviews, Independent medical evaluations, and appeals where appropriate and in concert with Human Resources
- Develop, arrange, and present safety orientation and training for employees to ensure complete and effective understanding of potential risks and expected safety first! behaviours
- Develop a matrix for training requirements, maintain records of all health and safety-related training and assist in the development and implementation of programs
- Develop and manage internal and external health and safety audits of the company, including risk assessments, at varying levels, and act as a trainer/advisor to internal auditors
- Coordinate inspections, investigations, and occupational health and safety activities within various departments
- Coordinate health and safety supplies by ensuring appropriate supplies are identified and purchased in a timely and cost effective manner and used appropriately
- Monitor, amend and update the organization’s Health and Safety Manual; maintain soft copies and historical records of all safety related information and documentation
- Support and promote occupational health, wellness and corporate safety initiatives
- Act as a resource to assisting and providing information and responses on behalf of the company (ie safety metrics reporting, RFP data requirements, etc.)
- Prepare and manage the occupational health and safety budget
- Ensure the documentation and retention of all health and safety-related records for the prescribed time limits
- Fit test and train employees on the proper fit, use, maintenance and storage of PPE
- Perform other related duties as required
What you bring…
- Bilingual and good communicator both orally and in writing. (French and English)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an occupational health and safety management role
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field of study
- OH&S designation (CRSP, CRST, or CHSC)
- ASP certification (CCQ)
- RBQ knowledge and certification
- Direct experience with disability management, accident investigation, workplace inspection and job hazard analysis
- Thorough knowledge of the CNESST Health and Safety Regulations and legislation
- Restoration industry knowledge
- Through knowledge of asbestos abatement and control
- Occupational Health and Safety Certificate – First Aid Certification
- Safety Training and Certifications (various): Fall Protection, Fit testing, confined space, etc.
- IICRC Training and Certification preferred (industry courses such as Asbestos, Mould, etc.)
- Knowledge of Provincial Building Codes & Regulations such as CCQ, RBQ an asset
Skills and competences:
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety management, applicable federal, provincial and municipal regulations/legislation (CNESST and WSIB), and applicable Provincial Human Rights legislation
- Knowledge of CNESST/LTD processes and procedures, including CNESST claims management and related legislation
- Proven ability to effectively plan and direct the work of the department and manage its staff and resolve conflict in a positive and constructive manner
- Willing to actively participate in continuous professional development throughout the course of employment
- Proven ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and records
- Service and team-oriented leader who pays specific attention to detail
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills
- Tact, diplomacy, flexibility, listening and persuasion skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with database applications and administration systems, specifically Microsoft Office
What’s in it for you?
We’re an established company in a growing industry and we need awesome people! We WANT to start you off on a career path you’ll love, we WANT you to be fulfilled by your work and we WANT to provide you with a steady pay-cheque. We also love that we’re able to provide an employee assistance program, excellent health plan which includes extended medical (chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, vision, and more!) dental, long-term disability (LTD) and life insurance.
We provide on the job training with opportunity for development—promotions and national career movement are yours for the taking (well, with a few months under your belt). At On Side we work hard to embrace diversity and inclusion and encourage everyone to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
Get on our side!
Both major weather disasters and minor accidents involving water, fire, and more happen every day, and in our industry this is how we keep busy, restoring properties 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. Mother Nature usually doesn’t wait for an invitation, but we’re in the business of dealing with party crashers, and we’ve done it for over 40 years!
We have branches from Victoria, BC to St. John’s, Newfoundland and (almost) everywhere in between. Our fantastic team of over 1,500 employees stretches far and wide across Canada, and we’re growing—YOU could be the next great addition!